Watching: The Today show. What the hell was Matt Lauer thinking?

Reading: The Washingtonian ('cause I live here now). There's a bizarrely fascinating article about a couple who was getting a divorce. The woman who started accusing her husband of molesting their children and then her best friend shot him in the leg while he was sleeping.

First of all, just how good of a friend do you have to be to agree to shoot someone else's husband? Secondly, how can you fail to kill someone who is asleep when you shoot them?

(I'm suddenly very afraid of search engine hits.)

Listening: The SpiderMan soundtrack. I love Danny Elfman. (I haven't exactly stopped listening to John Mayer, though. He's still in my car.)

Buying: A lot of furniture from Ikea. Sadly, they do not have a link for my kick-ass bench. When I was visiting Elise, we went to Ikea, and while her husband was talking to a salesperson, she and I sat on this bench to wait for him, and it was very comfortable and kind of cool-looking. So, since my living room and dining room form an L-shape, I wanted something that would visually divide the room without making everything look small. The bench is perfect. And did I mention that it looks cool?

So, remember how I said that I thought I probably had a job, but I wasn't going to believe it until I started working?


As it turns out, this agency doesn't exactly have the document project yet, contrary to the distinct impression the woman gave me on the phone on Thursday. So basically, I got up, put on a suit and pantyhose and high heels, walked up the hill to the bus stop, rode the bus, rode the Metro, and walked three blocks to the agency so they could see how fast I type.

The embarrassing thing is that I had another call from another woman at another agency on Friday. I called her back this morning before my appointment and told her I had accepted a position for July, but that I would still like to meet with her, and she told me to call back at the end of the month and we'd meet then.

So as I was walking out of the appointment this morning, I called her back and admitted that I had been misinformed and that I was still available for work in July. Although you may not want to hire me anymore because I'm clearly an idiot unable to differentiate between an actual job offer and a the suggestion of a possibility of a potential job offer.

Okay, you want to know the truth? Except for the suit and pantyhose and high heels part, I was kind of excited about my commute. I suppose it's just because it feeds into this "That Girl" ideal (that exists primarily in my head) about what it is to be a young urban professional.

Anyway. I left my apartment at 8:30 and walked up to the bus stop at the top of the hill. I bought the Post and got on the bus with the other people in suits. I stared in wonder at the logjam that is I-395 at 8:40 in the morning as we flew along in the HOV lane.

I stepped off at the Pentagon, and I took a small moment to look around at all the people, a few of them in uniform, and I stared at one perfectly intact wall of this massive, intimidating, intricate building, and I gazed up at a plane taking off from National, so close I could practically see inside the windows.

I took a moment, is all I'm saying.

And I went down and got on the train that would take me into the city, and after the doors closed I turned around, jockeying for a good handhold, and I saw my downstairs neighbor standing next to me. (This is not a huge coincidence, as she was the one who told me where to get the bus, but she must have been on the next bus after mine and caught up with me when I missed the train the first time because I wanted to be sure where I was going.)

So she asked if I was going on an interview, and I said breezily, "Yes, well, I'm going to start temping in July, I just have to go in and fill out the paperwork," and we talked a little bit about her job (she's a lawyer, too, and the first time I met her she told me it took her four months to find a job and I nearly collapsed in dejection) and she got off at Foggy Bottom and I continued on to Farragut West.

Now, as I had given myself an insane amount of extra time, I stopped at Starbucks, bought coffee and a scone, and sat down with my newspaper and looked at all the people walking around purposefully, and thought about how much I loved it here. I love all the people walking around, places to go, people to see, friends to meet and lunches to have. No one ever walked around downtown Kansas City. (And with good reason, as there was nothing to do in downtown Kansas City.)

After the interview (and I wasn't kidding, I did take a typing test, 91 words a minute with one error, thankyouverymuch), I got back on the Metro and went one stop over to Dupont Circle to meet my friend Dana for lunch.

Dana is actually a friend of mine from my Los Angeles days. She went to law school in Boston starting a year after I did, and then came to DC to get an LLM at American, and now she's done and she can't get a job either, so we have hung out during the week a little and acted like we were on vacation instead of pathetically unemployed.

Her mother is in town to visit her, and although I had never met her before, she graciously offered to buy us lunch, and as I have about $14 left to my name, I graciously accepted.

And then I got back on the subway and back on the bus, but I had to take a different bus home and it dropped me off at the bottom of the hill instead of the top of the hill, so I had to trudge uphill again ("Uphill! Both ways!") in shoes that were already killing me (I have horribly flat feet, and they are a perfect size 9 and 3/4, so no shoe fits well, and if I have to walk for any length of time in anything other than athletic shoes I get all gimpy), and by the time I got home all I could do was take a cool shower and nap for two hours.

Not that I'm complaining. At some point, I will be doing this every day, except not uphill (because I'll get the right bus home) and not in heels (unless my office is like a block from the metro, otherwise I have absolutely no shame about looking ridiculous by wearing tennis shoes with a suit) and I'm sure the novelty of it all will wear off after about a week.

But for the moment, I'm looking forward to it.

previous    ::     home    ::    next